Are you a fan of tasty and frugal meals? This recipe will fit perfectly into your kitchen! Let me show you how to make this easy fajitas recipe with ground beef, carrot and onions.
At first, this recipe sounds a bit odd. But after you’ve topped your hot fajita filling with fresh greens and a dollop of sour cream or homemade herb dip (DF), then rolled it all up a soft tortilla shell, you’ll be surprised at the flavor it holds!
Can I Use Ground Beef for Fajitas?
If you’re familiar with fajitas, you’re probably familiar with recipes that call for chicken. It’s a tasty way to go! But what many frugal cooks don’t realize is that red meats also make yummy fajitas. This particular recipe is flavored for the rich, dark tones of ground beef or even venison.
While I prefer to use ground meat for this recipe, stew meat is also an excellent option!
Are Fajitas Dairy Free?
Unlike many options you’ll find online, this fajita recipe doesn’t depend on dairy for it’s full flavor. So unless you add a dollop of sour cream or a sprinkling of cheese to your fajita before rolling it up in a soft tortilla shell, this recipe is dairy free!
Easy Ground Beef Fajita Recipe with Tortillas
Before I give you the recipe, I just want to point out a few things!
- Did you know you can make soft whole wheat tortillas from home-milled flour? Get my recipe HERE.
- Are you gluten-free? Exchange soft wheat tortillas with corn tortillas.
- For the best flavor (and texture), avoid overcooking the carrots; they should be soft but not mushy.
- Got other veggies on hand? Broccoli and sweet peppers make a tasty addition!
Easy Fajita Recipe with Ground Beef
- 4-5 Soft tortillas (wheat or corn)
- 1 pound ground beef or stew meat
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons lard or olive oil
- 5 cups grated carrot
- 1 tablespoon sage
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh greens finely chopped
- cucumber rings thinly sliced
- sour cream avoid if dairy free
- The night before, pull ground beef from the freezer to thaw.
- Heat a cast iron skillet and add lard or olive oil.
- Peel and finely dice a whole onion.
- When cast iron skill is hot, add ground beef and also, diced onion.
- Add sage, oregano and salt. Stir in.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let meat and onions simmer.
- Grate the carrots in a cheese grater and set aside.
- Occasionally stir cooking meat until it is no longer pink inside.
- Add carrots to the meat and onion.
- Cover with a lid and cook everything for another 3-5 minutes. Carrots should be soft, but not mushy.
- Spoon hot fajita mix onto an open, soft tortilla. Add toppings of choice, roll up and serve hot.
Pin this for later: