I’m a breakfast person through and through. Fact is, I need a hearty meal to start the day right. Breakfast foods are my favorite and sometimes, I even serve them for supper!
I have a simple breakfast recipe for crispy fried potato patties that I’ve been wanting to share with you for a while now. And I just decided that today is the day!
How to Make Crispy Fried Potato Patties
I like this recipe because you don’t have to pre-cook or peel your potatoes. It’s simple. And I’m all about simplicity in the kitchen! I’ve outlined the basic steps for you below. Of course, I also have a printable recipe waiting for you at the bottom of the blog post as well.
Step 1: Wash Your Potatoes
Start by giving your potatoes a good scrub in the kitchen sink. You don’t need to peel them for this recipe, so be sure to clean them well. Also take a quick moment to cut out any bad spots or apparent bruises.
Step 2: Grate Your Potatoes
Once your potatoes are clean, pull out your cutting board and cheese grater. Using the side with the largest holes, grate the potatoes, peel and all! If your grater fills up before you are finished, empty the contents into a bowl and carry on.
Step 3: Squeezing Out the Juices
If you want crispy fried potatoes (who doesn’t?), this next step is important! Don’t skip over it or you’ll have soggy fried potatoes.
Set your bowl of grated potatoes by your kitchen sink. Using both hands, gather up grated potato and, working over the sink, squeeze the juices out.
I’ve been doing it this way for years and but I still feel surprised every time I see how much water content there is in a potato!
Keep working your way through the grated potatoes, until all have been squeezed. This accomplished, it’s time to put in a few additives!
Step 4: Chop an Onion and a Handful of Parsley
Crispy fried potatoes patties always taste best with an addition of onions and parsley! Dice a medium size onion and measure it out (as per the recipe below). Also mince your parsley at this time and mix the two into your grated potato.
Step 5: Preheat Your Skillet
Place your favorite cast iron skillet on the stove burner and add 1-2 tablespoon of lard for frying. Once the pan is hot and before the fat starts smoking, add potatoes. You can shape individual patties or you put down an even 1 inch layer on the pan.
Add salt and pepper.
Step 6: Fry Until Crispy
Fry your potatoes in an open skillet under medium-high heat. Don’t put a lid on your pan or the steam will create soggy potatoes.
Cook your patty/patties 3-4 minutes on one side. You can check for crispiness by lifting a portion with a metal flipper. When it looks golden, hard and crisp, flip.
Also cook the other side for about 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Serve hot with eggs, bacon and a side of salsa!
Crispy Fried Potato Patties
- Cutting board
- Cheese grater
- Cast Iron Skillet
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 C diced onion
- 1/2 C chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- a pinch crushed black pepper
- Scrub potatoes clean at your kitchen sink
- Place your cheese grater on a cutting board and grate potatoes, skin and all
- Empty the grater into a bowl as you go
- After all the potatoes have been grated, squeeze them out over the kitchen sink, one handful at a time
- Place squeezed potatoes in a bowl
- On the cutting board, chop onion until you have 1 C
- Roughly chop and measure out 1/2 C parsley
- Mix these two ingredients into the potatoes
- Add salt and pepper
- Heat a cast iron skillet on the stove under medium-high heat
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of lard or oil
- Shape 1 inch thick patties and place them in the hot skillet
- Fry for 3-4 minutes (uncovered) on one side, until golden and crispy
- Flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side
- Serve hot with a side of salsa
Leave a Reply